Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for October, 2007

Photo Frames

I’ve created a flickr page with photos of the two frames. I’ve had a flickr account for awhile to share pictures of my son – sorry, those are private – but now I’m going to add my binding projects as well. 🙂

Read Full Post »

The past month has been hectic. My sabbatical ended; I returned to work with all kinds of new responsibilities; and it’s been a steep learning curve.

I was so grateful on Saturday to be able to send my husband and son off to visit with my husband’s family. It gave me the opportunity to do some binding. I felt rushed to get everything done before they came home; but I also felt relaxed and happy to be creating again.

I worked on two folding photo frames. I admit to purchasing ready-made mats to make my life simpler. The mats were for 8×10 and 4×6 photos; 2 of each. Since these were for folding frames, I needed to make sure that when I created the frame I left enough room in the hinge to allow the frame to fold shut. This meant leaving a space that was two-board thicknesses and two-mat thicknesses. Being me, I created a spacer for this. 🙂

I cut down the 8×10 mats to make them smaller so that the mats wouldn’t overwhelm the photos or the frame I was creating. I made one mistake in doing that though. I didn’t measure the mats against each other when I was done, and unfortunately, as I found out after everything else was done, one is slightly larger than the other. And, of course, I cut my boards for the frame based on the smaller mat. Ugh. So before that frame is completed, I’ll need to do another mat for it.

I did manage to complete the 4×6 folding frame. I covered both mats with this beautiful Lotka paper. Then I cut .60-point board to create the frame. I covered the frame with a wonderful Thai marbled paper that has the same texture as Momi paper. It is tie-dyed in blue and green and then marbled with black and gold metallic ink.

Because I wanted to retain the crinkle in the paper, I glued the boards with mixture before laying them on the paper, and then was very gentle with the bone folder. In placing the boards on the paper, I used the same technique that I use in creating a flat-back case. I laid out the first board, then placed my spacer next to it, and used a straight edge on the bottom to make sure that I would place the next board in the proper alignment.

I used a plain Canson paper to cover the inside of the frame and create a plainer background for the mats to display against. I pressed everything overnight in my brand-new press to dry. And yesterday, I glued the 4×6 mats to the frame with PVA and pressed it lightly. I hope to be able to complete the larger frame this week. Overall, I’m very pleased with how they turned out and will post photos of the completed projects.

Read Full Post »